Thursday 12 February 2015

Priority 1 speaker - Derek Handley

Derek is a kiwi entrepreneur, speaker and investor, and a committed "astronaut - in - waiting".



While waiting for the talk to begin, I initially wondered if this was really going to be for me.  Most of the 300+ member audience looked as if they had stepped straight from their corporate environments.  I was regretting my choice of primary school teacher-ish outfit!

I shouldn't have worried.  As I pointed out to a friend later, Derek wasn't even wearing socks and while his background is in design and business, he is an advocate for business, for the wellbeing of people and the planet.

He spoke of diversity and the need to have those who are affected by the problem, as part of the problem solving.  Interestingly he was misquoted to say "people who are part of the problem"... which he pointed out and corrected.

He drew our attention to the fact that the current business models are not doing anything to alleviate world poverty and illiteracy levels.  The model needs to change from one in which money is earned then donated to causes, to one in which business makes a positive social impact along the way.

I'm sure everyone came away with more than enough food for thought.




No comments:

Post a Comment