Tuesday 24 March 2015

Rena Sampling

This morning when I was over in the hangar looking for the shark dissection, I bumped into a crew processing Rena samples.

I learnt that this is the fifth round of sampling from the Rena and is expected to continue for 10 years from when the ship wrecked.  I also learnt the Rena has been the second most expensive wreck to clean up in the world and that it is the most expensive monitoring programme thus undertaken in NZ so far.

They are sampling different species from all trophic levels.  While I was there, kina (omnivore but prefers large brown seaweed) and turban snails (herbivore grazing on algae) had been collected and were being prepared to be sent away for testing.

Participating and Contributing - use their growing science knowledge when considering issues of concern


Science Capability:    Engage with science in real life contexts

 


 




No comments:

Post a Comment